Castello di Montegridolfo
Back to the origins
A mediaeval village that, over the centuries, has experienced a troubled destiny of contention due to its strategic position on the border between Romagna and Marche.
The Castle of Montegridolfo stands on the line that at the time delimited the possessions of the Malatesta family of Rimini and the Montefeltro family, lords of nearby Urbino.
The origins of the construction of the castle date back to the thirteenth century when it was chosen as the home of the noble Gridolfi family. In the Conca River Valley, at that time, the two families fought for possession of the territories.
Montegridolfo went through three centuries of plundering and alternating dominions. An emblematic example of these raids is when Nolfo, Count of Urbino, completely destroyed the village in 1336.
Montegridolfo was rebuilt by Patriarch Galeotto Malatesta the following year. It was only in the 16th century that the Malatesta family regained possession of the castle and the village. A complex project that took about six years and was commissioned by a group of local entrepreneurs: Massimo and Alberta Ferretti of the Aeffe group, Vittorio Livi, Fiam Italia, moved and motivated by a common love for their homeland, brought the Castle and the surrounding village back to a modern dimension without neglecting the care for ancient harmonies.
With the precious collaboration of the Municipality of Montegridolfo and the Emilia-Romagna Region, on 24th June 1994 the Castle of Montegridolfo reopened its door, or rather its Clock Tower which dominates the entrance to the village, still the same tower built by the Malatesta family in 1338.
The other element that has remained absolutely intact and original is the solid boundary wall. The restoration work was carried out with almost philological scrupulousness and finesse, with extreme care for both the major structural interventions and the architectural and furnishing details.